While various Lutheran groups have been active in Puerto Rico since 1899, The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod began its work in Puerto Rico in 1993.
In the 1990s, the Ohio District Lutheran Church Extension Fund purchased a three-and-one half-acre site for the Lutheran Center, which is being used for worship, education, social ministry, and administration. Groups of volunteers from Iowa, Michigan, and Indiana have helped in the construction of the two-story church building in Mayagüez, where 20 people regularly worship.
In 1998, the LCMS awarded a grant for hurricane relief in Puerto Rico.
LCMS missionaries and Lutheran church members in Puerto Rico have prayerfully laid the groundwork for a future Lutheran school in Mayagüez. The Lutheran church body there hopes to continue training lay leaders through Theological Education by Extension programs in order to form satellite ministries in the region.
Media ministry is being handled through Lutheran Hour Ministries in St. Louis, Mo.
The emerging church in Puerto Rico has one congregation in Mayagüez called Prince of Peace.