Mission Month resources for you and your congregation
Did you know that October is Mission Month in the LCMS?
We invite all individuals, congregations and mission-minded organizations to join in celebrating our mission sending tradition. Celebrate what God is doing today through the global Lutheran missionary family to reach out with God’s love and the Good News of Jesus.
Here are some ideas of ways that you can learn about and celebrate God’s mission!
Include a mission video as a “mission update” during your Sunday services, Sunday school hour or Bible study group. The latest videos include:
Hold a mission worship service, prayer and praise meeting or mission fair.
- During a worship service, read John 3:16 in many languages. Locate members in the congregation who are able to read the “Gospel in a nutshell” in their heart language.
- Share mission highlight stories called “Good News from the Field” found on our blog and LCMS Missionaries Facebook page.
- Share the latest news. Check out Lutherans Engage the World, a new bimonthly publication combining the content of three former publications—Sharing, Caring and Harvest News — into one informative and inspiring magazine for LCMS supporters and stakeholders. Stories and photos include: global mission outreach, worldwide disaster response, partner church support and engagement, global theological education and more. The magazine is available on as an online PDF and also via Google Currents, Issuu and Scribd.
- Help people learn more about the global Gospel outreach of the LCMS through the “At a Glance” handout including the latest missionary, international educator and chaplain numbers and maps colorized to show the 90-plus countries where the LCMS has work and relationships.
Download At a Glance handout
- Allow each Sunday school class to exhibit a specific country, type of mission work, missionary family or world people group. Serve different foods from other countries. Use the “Mission Friends” curriculum for kids and the accompany resources like passports, maps and more.
Commit to praying for missionaries each day of October.
- Download 31 of more than the 150 available missionary prayer cards from the online database, searchable by world region, country and missionary last name. Pray for one missionary family each day.
- Pray for God’s mission each day following the monthly “Pray for Us” prayer calendar. Pray for theological education initiatives across the globe, as well as missionaries and chaplains celebrating birthdays in October.
Support your LCMS missionaries.
- Through LCMS Mission Senders individuals and families can prayerfully and financially support specific LCMS missionaries.
- Through Together in Mission congregations can commit to prayerfully and financially support specific LCMS missionaries.
- Learn more today, call 888-843-5267 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org