England

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of England (ELCE)

History:
The ELCE began in 1896 when six young bakers from Germany requested a pastor from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, each pledging 20 percent of their income to support him. Their congregations, first in Kentish Town and then also in Tottenham, quickly became bilingual and then fully English-speaking, recognizing the importance of the local language for the mission of the church. From 1954, mission activity began in other parts of Great Britain. They are now spread throughout England, Scotland and Wales. Initially pastors were called from overseas to serve these missions, but increasingly the church looked to its seminary program at Westfield House in Cambridge to supply its pastors. A fuller history of the ELCE can be found on the above web site link.

Contact Information: Profile:
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of England Congregations: 14
225 Poverest Road Baptized Members: 3
Petts Wood Communicant Members: 1,600
Kent BR5 1RD Active Pastors: 13
ENGLAND   
Phone: 44-1689 822340  
Email:jon.ehlers@christlutheranchurch.org.uk  
   
Web Site: http://www.lutheran.co.uk  
   
Chairman: Rev. Jon Ehlers

Seminaries- view

  • Westfield House House of Theological Studies

Learn more about partner church bodies on the International Lutheran Council website.

Join us on the journey

Lutherans Engage the World

Lutheran Engage the WorldEngaging the Church in the work of witness and mercy across the globe in our life together.

Read now

 

The Lutheran Witness

The Lutheran WitnessInterpreting the contemporary world from a Lutheran Christian perspective

Learn more

Concordia Publishing House

Concordia Publishing House

Contact Us
 

  Email us
 

  Church Info Center: 888-843-5267
  Staff Switchboard: 800-248-1930
  Donor Care Line: 888-930-4438
 

 1333 S. Kirkwood Road, St. Louis, MO 63122-7226

 

Guide Star Logo BBB Logo


The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod Inc., including Mission Central (in Mapleton, Iowa), is an IRS registered 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charity.

A contribution designated (restricted) for a specific purpose when accepted, will be used only to fund expenses related to that purpose. Occasionally, we may receive more in contributions for a particular purpose than can be wisely applied to it in the foreseeable future or the purpose may cease to be feasible. In these situations, the LCMS will make reasonable attempts to contact contributors to apply their contribution differently. If a contributor cannot be contacted, the LCMS will use the gift to meet a similar pressing need that most closely matches the contributor's original intent.  Consistent with Synod Board policy, no more than 12 percent of a charitable contribution may be applied to administering gifts and communicating with contributors.  Contributions received and accepted by the LCMS are deemed to be in agreement with this statement.

Our Tax Identification Number is: 43-0658188

>>View Donor Transparency Resources


Employment  |  For the Media  |  Site Map  |  Privacy

 

© 2003 – 2010   The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. All Rights Reserved.