The Danish Evangelical-Lutheran Freechurch was founded in 1855 by N. P. Grunnet in the midst of tension between Awakening Movements and secularism in the state church. During the next two to three decades, the church grew and congregations were established in many parts of Denmark.
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod first began work in Denmark around 1900, when an LCMS missionary to Germany, J.M. Michael, moved to Denmark and became the leader of The Evangelical-Lutheran Freechurch of Denmark from 1900-1925. His two sons also served as pastors in the church through 1980.
Today, the LCMS continues its altar and pulpit fellowship (sister/partner church relationship) with the Evangelical Lutheran Free Church in Denmark (ELFD), which includes two parishes, five congregations, 127 baptized members and three active pastors. The ELFD has been a partner church of the LCMS since 1882.