In 1934, a Lutheran mission outpost was established in a densely populated sector of Paris. Since then, religious feelings in France have shifted. According to a 2003 media survey, more than 30 percent of the French identify themselves as atheist or agnostic, and Lutheran is a virtually unknown denomination.
In 2002, through the support of Rev. Francis Poillet’s service to the only confessional Lutheran congregation in Paris, The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod once again began supporting the mission outpost. Since 2007, Rev. Roger Jones of England has continued the Evangelical Lutheran Church—Synod of France’s outreach in Paris.
Today, LCMS World Mission partners with the LCMS sister/partner church, the Evangelical Lutheran Church—Synod of France, to spread the Gospel among immigrant communities at mission centers in Paris and Châtenay Malabry.
The Evangelical Lutheran Church—Synod of France includes nine parishes, 10 congregations, 697 baptized members, 554 communicant members and nine active pastors. It has been a partner church of the LCMS since 1927.