Specialized Pastoral Ministry Scholarships
LCMS Specialized Pastoral Ministry awards chaplaincy, pastoral counseling and clinical education scholarships.
The Specialized Pastoral Ministries scholarship was started in 1992 with funds donated by persons serving in ministries of chaplaincy, pastoral counseling and clinical education, and by others supportive of these ministries.
In 2003, Lutheran Chaplaincy Auxiliary of St. Paul, Minnesota contributed their assets to an endowment that is now divided equally between the ELCA and LCMS. This contribution was a way of continuing their 80-year support of chaplaincy ministry.
To apply, please complete the following steps listed below. Application deadlines are Feb. 15 and Aug. 15, with awards made by the end of April and November.
- Complete the application, personal data and financial data forms.
- Submit a written recommendation from your district president if you are a rostered worker or a written recommendation from your program director if you are a student.
- Submit a statement of vocational goals, including your reason for pursuing ministry in chaplaincy, pastoral counseling or clinical education.
- If the requested scholarship is in support of taking CPE, submit a letter of acceptance by a CPE center accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE), the College of Pastoral Supervision and Psychotherapy (CPSP), etc. specifying the type of CPE that you will be taking (individual unit, residency, extended unit, supervisory).
- American Association of Pastoral Counselors (AAPC) Certified Pastoral Counselors, Fellows, and Pastoral Counselor in Training students should provide a copy of a letter showing a contractual arrangement for supervision.
- Submit a statement indicating your willingness to share the outcome of your educational experience with your district president.
Please submit your application and required information to:
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
Specialized Pastoral Ministry
1333 S. Kirkwood Road
St. Louis, MO 63122
Phone: 800-248-1930, ext. 1388