The Evangelical Lutheran Church of England (ELCE) began in 1896, when six young bakers from Germany requested a pastor from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, each pledging 20 percent of their income to support him. Their congregations, first in Kentish Town and then also in Tottenham, quickly became bilingual and then fully English-speaking, recognizing the importance of using the local language for the mission of the church.
Beginning in 1954, mission activity began in other parts of Great Britain. They are now spread throughout England, Scotland and Wales.
Today, the Evangelical Lutheran Church of England is a sister/partner church of the LCMS. The church body includes 14 congregations, 1,351 baptized members and 13 active pastors. The church has begun planting ministries on British university campuses by reaching out to the academic communities, through student ministries and by organizing Luther societies.